Friday, March 9, 2012

Sun Seeker


I love the heat of the sun. I should rephrase. I don’t like being swallowed up in an overwhelmingly sticky heat and blistering sun, but I like being warmed by it. When I lived in New York the house always seemed to trap the cool air inside so on Saturday mornings, in-between cartoons, I would drag my little pink quilt outside and lay on the warmed cellar door, just soaking up the warmth of the sun. In the afternoons I would have a picnic on the front (or back) lawn, occasionally lugging my stuffed animals with me. Or I would read on the porch roof.

Even when we moved to the hot sticky summers of Virginia I sought out the sun. I would sit in the pool reading a book in order to soak up the rays and stay cool. In the spring, fall, or evenings I would lay on the trampoline or grass and take a nap. Or if it was too hot or too cold to be outside I would perch myself in the window with a book or homework. When I lived in Farmville my bed was right next to the window and I’d lay with my face in the sun either to read or nap. Needless to say I was usually sun burnt and frequently found new freckles.

This is what I was thinking about in the car today as I drifted into unconsciousness. Periodically I would wake up and readjust as we went around a curve or when the sun sunk behind a cloud. And I realized - Oh noz I’m a cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment